Stephen Juharos, a native of
Budapest, Hungary, began
painting at the age of seven. He
followed in the footsteps of his
father, an architect who painted
in his free time. Juharos received a Master of Arts diploma
at the Royal Hungarian State
University for Fine and Industrial Art. He was also awarded
the Gold Medal and a one-year
scholarship. At his first one-man show in Budapest, the
City of Budapest purchased one of his aquarelles for the
City Art Museum. The National Museum of Fine Art also
purchased another of his aquarelles.
In 1941, he entered military service, fighting to regain
territories that had belonged to Hungary for over 1,000
years. During these campaigns, he continued painting
and had two more art shows in Budapest. The war situation forced him to move to Northwest Germany where he
was flooded with portrait commissions. Over 400 pieces of
his fine artwork found their way into collections in Ireland,
England, Finland, France and Germany.
Juharos moved to the United States in 1949. He continued to accept portrait commissions, including those of
Joseph Cardinal Mindszenty for Cardinal Spellman, Archbishop of the United States; United States Senator Barry
Goldwater; James Kemper, Ambassador to Brazil and
Hathaway Kemper, Esquire, founders of Kemper and
Lumbermans Insurance Company; Crownprince Otto von
Habsburgh and his wife Princess Regina von Sachsen
Meiningen and President Dwight D. Eisenhower. His portrait of Eisenhower is displayed in the city hallof
Gettysburg, PA. During this time, his paintings were in shows
from Florida to Maine to the Midwest, earning many First
Place and other awards.
In 1961, Juharos built a studio, art gallery and
personal home in Sedona, Arizona. Here he
completed large murals for churches in Pittsburgh and Perriopolis, Pennsylvania; Montreal,
Canada and Flagstaff, Arizona. His 35-foot by 50-foot ceiling mural for a Pittsburgh church is the
largest ceiling mural in the United States. Other
murals were commissioned for the Maplewood,
New Jersey City Hall; main library of Northern
Arizona University; Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, and the Tempe, Arizona City Hall.
He began teaching art classes in Germany.
He continued his teaching career at the Academy for Arts in Newark, New Jersey; Rutherford,
New Jersey; and in Prescott, Flagstaff and
Sedona, Arizona. During the 60's he had an art
instruction program for four-and-a-half years on
Flagstaff Television, Channel 2.
In the '70's, Juharos completed a commission for a
Texas collector comprised of six murals, 5-foot by 8-foot,
depicting Biblical individuals of renown. In 1976, he finished a collector's plate with a bicentennial theme. A
picture of this plate appeared in Art News and National
Geographic magazine. One of these plates has been
purchased by the new Midland, Texas Museum.